Hello! My name is Mehak, and I am currently a third-year student at the University of Victoria, majoring in Economics and minoring in business. Originally from India, I moved to Victoria in 2021 to pursue my studies.

Education

My academic path has included a wide range of experiences. My curiosity with the intricacies of our financial systems and how they affect society led me to pursue a degree in Economics. Since I had a lot of spare time during the Covid-19 outbreak, I started researching how financial systems and economic policies handled the issue. This sparked a particular interest in me. Contrarily, business gives me the chance to explore the trends of different buyers and purchasers.

Interests in Open and Distributed Learning

My interest in open and distributed learning stems from its ability to bring education closer to the masses. It removes geographical restrictions and gives anyone with an internet connection access to knowledge. I really appreciate this inclusivity since it supports my view that everyone should have access to education.

Use of Digital Tools in Learning

I have found that digital tools have been really helpful in my educational journey. I keep organised, conduct research, and work on group projects using a variety of internet tools. My learning process has been made more efficient by resources like Brightspace, UVIC digital libraries, and Google Scholar. In order to support my studies, I also frequently interact with instructional information on websites like YouTube.

Recognizing Digital Literacy

Digital literacy, in my view, is the ability to effectively use digital tools to find, evaluate, create, and communicate information. It’s crucial in open and distributed learning settings as it empowers students to navigate the extensive amount of information available online, discern credible sources, and engage with content meaningfully. Being digitally literate also means understanding the ethical considerations of digital interactions and maintaining a safe online presence.

Experiences with Open and Distributed Learning

My exposure to open learning includes completing multiple online courses as a result of COVID-19. I now have flexible learning options thanks to these classes. I have discovered that taking part in these courses' discussion boards and group projects improves my comprehension and enables me to support a community of learners.

Engagement and Contribution

I intend to participate actively in the conversations and course material throughout. I think that collaborative learning is incredibly powerful, and I intend to add to it by sharing my personal experiences and thoughts from my double major. I hope to maximise this open learning opportunity and deepen our collective understanding by doing this.
I hope through this blog i was able to share my views with all of you
warm regards,
Mehak Gill